Monday, December 13, 2004

Apologies to the service industry

As a former waitress/server/hostess etc., I should apologize, as in the last three days I have failed to tip 2 waitresses at 2 different bars. I suck at tipping in this country, because I expect to be able to just leave the tip on the table. But you can't. So I look like an idiot, leaving money everywhere. I'm probably also very embarassing to be with in these instances (sorry M&Z). Anyway, I have resolved to tip very well the next time I frequent these establishments to make it up to the poor waitresses who were so snubbed by my ignorance.
On the upside, I had a little Canadian pin on my sweater, so if they happened to see it, they probably thought to themselves "F-ing cheap American."

Today on my way home I was stopped (or almost stopped) by 3 men. My numbers are going up. Must find a way to remove the seemingly indelible chalk mark somewhere on my aura that says "Stop and talk to this girl!" I try to look very disuasive, but to no avail. The first one today said "Are you American?" and I said no CANADIAN, and he said "Ah, English or British?" And I laughed and said, "Uh, it's really all the same to me." But I was thinking, Nope, STILL CANADIAN. Anyway, the next two who tried to stop me were put off by a little smile, a negative shake of the head and a wave. Because honestly. They stand there, and 3 MILLION other people walk by them, but they try to stop ME, which means I have to stop, take my earphones out, explain that I don't speak German, and then STILL try to understand what they want. And I'm not talking homeless people either. Just regular guys. I'm wearing EARPHONES for F's sake. LEAVE ME ALONE WITH MY MUSIC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home