Thursday, March 03, 2005

Call me Magneto

So.
I set off store alarms when I walk in. This is a new development in the magnetic force field that is me. Usually I just get the odd interference with electrical appliances, my computer f-s up (another reason I use a Mac... it doesn't seem to be, uh, phased), and radios static out when I walk around a room (this happened once when I was in a dollar store where they were playing the radio, sigh). Lately however, it's going overtime -- which has led me into several thankfully friendly conversations with store security at Target, among other places (Oh you're from CANADA?? I'VE BEEN THERE!! WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA!!).
I have a few theories about the reasons for this increase in nervous energy that seems to be surrounding me. Theories I've been trying to work out on the tread mill in the basement, to very little avail except that my ass is looking pretty damn good. In the meantime, don't anybody get into a golf cart with me... seen Jackass the movie? Yeah. Everytime I set off an alarm, I apologize, they look at me strangely, I offer up my bag for inspection, saying "Really, it's just me, I set them off everywhere." And THEN they look at me like I'm f-ing Carrie 3. I feel like saying "Don't worry, I won't break any windows, I promise." Instead I brandish my keychain and say, "Did you know I'm from Canada?"

It's an excellent distraction tactic in Australia.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with walking by street lamps and having them burnout. I keep thinking im about to get ambushed by a SWAT team or something.

9:53 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home