Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Love/Hate Day

Valentine's day -- what to say? This is what I said last year which is similar to what I'm going to say this year. It's what I say every year. It's stupid, and we're stupid for being stupid about it.
This year I've reverted to my highschool status of unattachedness on V's day. I'm going out later with some similarly situated ladies to celebrate this fact.
So far in my life V's day has mostly meant chocolate and underwear... from my parents. I like this. Just as I like men who don't bow to the social pressures of the day (as long as that's not used as an excuse for plain laziness). Does this mean I don't want to be sent flowers? No. But I don't want to EXPECT it. I'm a complex being, I know.
In the interest of giving a nod to V's day on M&C, despite the author's evident mixed feelings towards it, here's a phone conversation I had at work yesterday:

A: Hello?
Guy: Uh, hi, is this [The] Bakery?
A: Yep, but we're actually closed right now.
Guy: Oh that's okay, I just have a quick question
A: *suppressing sigh* Okay.
Guy: I went on a date last week with a girl who works there and I was wondering if she was working tomorrow so I could have something sent there.
A: Oh, *laughs* did SHE have a name?
Guy: Oh, uh, yeah, S?
A: Last name?
Guy: M.
A: Let me just check the schedule ... Uh, yep I think so, 2 till 6
Guy: Okay thanks.
A: Yep no problem. Bye.
Guy: Bye.

It's good to know someone's still getting it right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home