Wednesday, September 29, 2004

A Common Denominator btwn Terrorists and Escalators

This is gonna be jumpy, rambling, and pretty heavy stuff, dotted with periods of ignorance, so bear with me.

I am struck more and more these days by the implications of rising terrorist actions. Apart from being a response to the Bush-launched offensive on the latest -ism of the day (and really, what did he expect? that they would just lie down and roll over like fluffy terrorist kittens?), it occurs to me that these individuals are the product of the foibles of our society -- on the one hand, they believe whole-heartedly in that mantra that is adamantly promoted where I come from, "One person can make a difference," (but which I have trouble accepting without giant leaps of my absent faith). And on the other, they are singularly lazy about their methods to that effect. But is it really any wonder? Isn't it just written in our nature? Laziness -- it's the one true patron of humanity's technological advance. So combine these two, laziness, and faith in an individuals power to change the world and what do you get? Has anyone ever specified whether the difference one person can make is a positive one? It seems to me more and more these days that the differences made by people - the really big ones, that make us sit up and take notice - are negative, and any good to be done is just trying to clean up some one else's mess. The evil in this world is always one destructive step ahead -- leaving humanity perpetually in the red. Black is a Utopian ideal, I think. But again, should I be surprised? Indeed I am not. THe evil difference is the one that is easiest to make, and therefore the more frequent. It's little wonder, in a world where there's a line up for the escalator, while the single flight of stairs beside it is desreted. There is an misconception here -- what is easiest is not always what is most expedient or efficient. If you're hale and hearty, walk up the goddamned stairs and you'll get there faster, and maintain your H&H-ness.
Human beings, I believe, are basically, perhaps not evil (though everyday they give me more evidence of this), but certainly (overwhelmingly) lazy. I'm not sure which is worse. I may be borrowing biblical ideas here but you know what they say about idle hands, and it's a good point. Only in a world of such supremely lazy creatures could such a thing as terrorism exist. Eventhough, so far, so very few of their ultimatums have been met, countless groups persist in their campaigns, although it must be obvious by now that their way of conducting themselves is not working, is not bringing them closer to their goals, is not paying off (unless we can count here ransom money given for released hostages -- do we really believe they were given up out of the goodness of the terrorists little puppy hearts? yeah...). It makes no sense unless you look at it from a lazy person's point of view (which, having lived with my brother for nigh on 18 years, I have a pretty good grasp on) -- grabbing someone at gun point and holding them in return for prisoners released, laws abolished, occupating countries pulling out, whatever -- it's a hell of a lot easier to increase the chaos than to help to contain it, as every preschool-aged child knows. Tidy-Up Time everyone, sing it with me.
You may accuse me of giving advice to terrorists but come on guys, you want positive change? Get off your asses.

Disagree with me -- see COMMENT link below, and bitch me out, whatever.
Now that we're all thoroughly depressed, I'm working on a mini-sketch of the market place in Kiev for my next installment... I've decided to move away from such gripings as above, and get a bit of a grasp on the place I'm living... or rather, since I've got a pretty good grasp by now, let you have a grab at it too. I'm sure you'll all be the better pleased for it. Haha.

Cheers

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm i don't think i followed that well enough to bitch you out about it, but since you don't like bush you're cool as hell anyway ;)

11:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home