Monday, September 20, 2004

100 and what?

Well apparently my blog has ceased to count the posts.... they are inummerable, and so I have absolutely no idea when my centennary was... that's not the right word. Never mind, you get the idea.
On with business.

Sept. 6th
Leave it to the Americans to have their fingers in every pie. I have found here, among this country's querrulous nationalism, the "American Library," a thoughtful donation of the United States Governement. A small but broad selection of works such as "Cost Management in the U.S." and "A Day in the Life of California." How these volumes could possibly be of any use here escapes me, but perhaps there is a hidden purpose to this dot, which seems dubious in everything but its pomposity to me. Hypocritically, I feel at home here, in this low-ceilinged hall. Possibly it is the one place in my whole world right now where the US is still the centre of the universe, and ironically (or not) that steadies me, brings me back from my off-kilter stance.
It is a Monday, and according to the round little woman in charge, it is their day off (bizarrely, they still have to work...) and they are only open for the students of the University of Kiev wher my dad is working. She is kind and eager to speak to me in English... I wonder how many North Americans they actually get coming in here. She lets me stay, eventhough I did specify my non-US citizen status.
Hearteningly, the page working wears a TO Blue Jays t-shirt...

Since that day, I've been back there 3 times. They leave me alone and let me work, and it's nice to have somewhere to go that is away from the funky little apartment we're staying in (read, one bedroom, 4 people). Anyway, the point is, every time I've been in there, the girl has been wearing the same B-Jay's T... She must be quite a fan...
It occurs to me now, that more likely, it is her work uniform... maybe she thinks she's wearing something American to work in... The TO shirt makes her blend in with the books titled "Impressionism in the United States"... right... this might be a stupid question, but -- WHAT Impressionism in the United States?

Oh I'm so mean, and evil, and I just... really, really, don't like Bush. But thanks, GW baby, for the quiet place to work, and the English words to read.


-- I wish I'd brought a garlic press.

Cheers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home