Tuesday, May 02, 2006

In-animation

My decided lack of human companionship in the last day and a half has resulted in my usual skills of anthropomorphization being blown to extremes. The computer at my desk in the filmhouse (FH) for example has now been dubbed (mentally by me anyway) "The Chugger", as it runs on OS9 and reminds me at times of a little old man walking down the sidewalk bent over a cane, and at others of a cheerfully animated cartoon tugboat.
Also, today when I was returning from lunch, out of nowhere a yellow and green soccer ball came rolling past me down the street. I watched it's trajectory and it finally stopped just in front of the path to the front door of the FH, and rolled around hopefully for a moment before coming to rest. I looked around and there was no one in sight but an old man who was looking just as perplexed at the green and yellow ball as I was (sort of the look my computer gets when I try to get it to reopen an app that's already running, but it's forgotten, and has to start from scratch). So I decided the obvious thing was that the ball wanted a home. And I brought it with me.
This heightened sense of the animus totus (? I just made that up) has even led me to bond with my cell phone. (Yes, yes, it's seducing me against my will. I won't go any further with that techno-societal metaphor.) So much so, that the other day when for the first time it ran out of batteries and showed me the polite little message "Battery Low. Phone is shutting off!" my first thought was, "Why is it talking about itself in the third person?"
You can guess what my second thought was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home