Saturday, June 18, 2005

Hollerback what?

This morning Gwen's video was playing on VH1, and my mother, after several minutes listening to the lyrics finally said, "What the hell does that MEAN?"
And to be honest, I just don't know. I don't get it at all, but no one else seems to want to admit it. I try to keep an open mind with what she's doing, but pretty much the song is just sh--. It's also number one on the Australian charts right now, which I'm not sure actually reflects how much the country likes it rather than how much everyone just doesn't want to admit that they don't understand it and are really enthusiastic about it to compensate.

Anyway, if anyone can actually provide an adequate decoding for my mom that would be cool.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just because i was curious myself, here's the low down from urbandictionary.com:

1. holla back girl
A girl that is willing to be treated like a doormat or booty call. She is a girl that will allow guys to do whatever they want with her and will just wait for them to 'holla back' at them.
Jermaine fools around with Aisha. Thinking he likes her, she waits around for him to make contact with her again

2. holla back girl
A holla back girl is a member of a cheerleading squad who repeats – hollers back - words that the squad leader shouts out to them. For example at a Pep Rally, cheerleaders might shout out “S-P-I-R-I-T” and the squad leader asks “What does that spell?” and the holla back girls respond – hollering back “SPIRIT”. In the context of Gwen Stefani’s song “Hollaback Girl”, the term also refers to a girl who has heard about some guy talking bad about her and she isn’t just going to take it – she is going to be the leader, take charge and put an end to his verbal “cheerleading”.
Gwen Stefani lyrics - "I heard that you were talking sh** And you didn't think that I would hear it. People hear you talking like that, getting everybody fired up So I'm ready to attack, gonna lead the pack. . . . 'Cause I ain't no hollaback girl,I ain't no hollaback girl"

7:18 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home