Wednesday, March 29, 2006

In Praise of the Weather

Dear Weather,
You F-ing rock. Here's to you and me not being so goddamned pasty anymore. I know this is a lot to ask in the context of this being March still, and, uh, Canada, but do you think you could see your way to holding out like this until summer? I don't mind rain, but warmth! Warmth! That's what I'm talking about. You're curing my cold, and I love you. On Friday, if you keep your forecast steady, I'll wear a skirt in your honour, and trust me, I won't be the only one thanking you. Just think about it, about all the good you could do.
I love waking up in the morning with the sun shining in my window. I love lying there another two hours and feeling it heat up the room until I don't need all the three blankets I've been using this winter in this forsakenly-cold house. I love walking to school with my jacket open and my sunglasses on (they are pretty good sunglasses). I love that the baseball field in the park is slowly turning green and that there were clusters of dark red buds on a tree I passed yesterday afternoon on my way home. I love that soon I'll be able to open up my repertoire of shoes! I love that buzz of contented excitement I get from people on campus -- spring fever baby! I love it.
I don't mind that my hair is frizzing with the sudden humidity, or that when I walk across the park my shoes squish in the mud. I don't even mind that my winter freckles will soon become summer freckles. It's like you're kissing me all over my face.
Keep it up.

Love A.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home