Monday, February 14, 2005

Why Valentine's Day Is Stupid (but we love it anyway)

What it's like to date me: (and here, after all my censoring, I get a little close to the bone, but at least I find fault with myself) I remember everything. And I don't mean, like, everything, I mean EVERYTHING. So, you know, you can't put ANYTHING past me. In the immortal words of P up the V, "I can smell a lie like a fart in a car." I realize this can be exhausting -- hell, it exhausts ME, but I can't help it... sometimes I wish I could forget, but I can't, and so you have to live with it.
I am also one of those chicks who gets this creepy feeling in her stomach when anyone does anything romantic. It makes me feel weird and I don't like it. I am not a naturally gracious person -- I have to work at it. I have a really hard time taking a compliment, and so people have an equally hard time paying me one.
On the other hand, I'm incredibly complicated, and so if you DON'T do romantic things... well, obviously there's something wrong there too.

This mini background brings me to Valentine's Day, and why I hate it, but feel like a loser anyway. And I'm not going to do the "Hallmark invented it" rant, frankly it's over done, poor Hallmark, they make decent movies... sometimes. But it's all -- in one day -- the dichotomy that makes me a frustrating person. I don't want it, I would like it to disappear from our range of celebrated holidays, but at the same time, I always feel like a doof when I'm, say, sitting in a computer lab at 11 pm, in a residence hall full of chicks dressed up as nurses (ahem, valentine's day party, Helloooo nurse!), typing this introspective bullshit onto my website, on Valentine's Day, when the radio is spewing crap like "Buy her lingerie at Intimate Expressions and she'll love you for it!" I don't WANT anyone to be buying me lingerie -- but that doesn't mean I don't WANT it. Do you see? Feel free to leave and do something more useful at this point. Go and have sex. It's Valentine's Day. Go. Goodness (and everyone in this computer lab) knows that I'm not going to.
The thing is: I don't think I'm alone in this sentiment. I mean, how crappy is it that people are FORCED into doing something nice for someone by an institution (is that the right word, I have no idea, it sounds ranty)? And how even MORE crappy is it that we've all been tricked into these elevated expectations for one day of the year? Where the HELL is the spontaneity in that?
In the end, the whole thing isn't romantic at all. Boo to Valentine's and its enforced insecurity.

It's really too late and I'm making no sense. How am I ever going to write an essay ever again? My argument sucks, but anyway, you get it.

Wow, two posts in one day.
Where's that TRN?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Alexis,

Glad to hear you are safe and sound and hating Valentine's Day. Always know that if you ever truly need sexy lingerie, I'm right there to drag your butt to the nearest La Senza. Which, by the way, is totally different in the UK, reflecting UK values of 'crotchless underware' as opposed to Canadian values such as '5 underware for 25$' which I have come to love and depend on. Seriously...it's like, 'Ho's R Us' over here...what the hell was I talking about anyway? Oh yeah, good to hear from you babe!
~ Victoria

2:20 p.m.  
Blogger Alexis said...

Haha, yes! La Senza 25 for 5. You should all know that when V and I were living together and doing laundry it was difficult to tell our underwear apart since we frequent the same sales at the same store, and have the same abhorrence of thongs aka. Butt Floss.
Yes, lovely. I'm sort of hyper this morning. Goodness knows why.

12:37 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home