Saturday, December 18, 2004

Things I miss most about my year and a half of sobriety

(family: this next post, it's not true)

So does everyone remember when I stopped drinking? Remember how much fun I really wasn't? I know you do because you were all like "suddenly A is so lame, what happened?" Well what happened involves New Year's Eve, vodka and orange, an entire bottle of prosecco, a bench outside a realtor's office, ZLA, and not being able to pronounce the word "taxi." But it's a sad, sad story, and I don't like to remember it. So. Recently I've come out of my non-alcoholic slump with rather a vengeance. And every morning I wake up after one of these vengeful events, I remember to some degree why I stopped drinking in the first place. So, as a friendly reminder to myself for next time, I've decided to make this list. It may prove useful to you as well.

Things I miss most about being sober:
- Using the expression "crawl into bed" figuratively rather than literally.
- Not noticing how gross it is around the base of the toilet. Being blissfully unaware in fact. (This last not because I throw up -- never have -- but because I spend a lot of time sitting on the bathroom floor. Okay, not much better.)
- Having WAY more money
- Not being given guys numbers which I have no intention of calling. What? It makes me feel bad.
- Sleep.
- Dancing without one hand on the wall.
- Being able to control the words that come out of my mouth. I can't believe I just SAID that.
- Saturday mornings.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Absinthe legal over there? I know it is illegal in the United States, and it's an import-restricted substance in Canada, but I want some severely (and not that fake absinthe that is just green-coloured gin, I want the stuff made using methyl alcohol derived from wormwood). Canada never actually outright banned it, as was the case south of the border, but it's so expensive to get someone to ship it here.

I like drinking, as does my entire family, perhaps because we seem to have some kind of immunity to hang-overs. All I have to worry about is my tendency to race to the bottom of the bottle.

Your link is up on my site now, in a dedicated 'link section'.

Cheers,
Chappy

10:35 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home