Tuesday, June 20, 2006

e-motion

I've been dealing with the messages we get from the department website. Mostly enquiries about the program. Everytime I get one, I have to smile at the, what shall I call them... petitioners? That makes it sound vaguely religious. I smile at the petitioners' wording. Their language is strung together with the exertions of composing it. If they are Canadian and in high school they sound so innocent, hopeful, and anxious. They word it as though this request for further information were already a university application, an interview. As though I, a 4th year summer student screening their messages, have the final word on their entry into this institution. It's just the sweetest thing.
If they are international, I imagine how long it must have taken them to craft their grammatically confused questions, and feel that in my response I must in some way reward them, applaud their efforts.
I'm surprised how much it touches me.
It makes me think of how important the present seems, until it's past.
And of human fragility.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home